Formula One racing discussion
Cart500

Spa 2019

Post by Cart500 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:48 am

Anyone thinking about going ?

Ben Tenuto

Re: Spa 2019

Post by Ben Tenuto » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:01 pm

I've been there twice, and am planning to go again in 2 years, if finances permit.

My advice is: Just go! If you can afford it, and are considering a trip to Spa, don't hesitate. GO!

I've been to many circuits, and on a scale of 1-10, Spa ranks about 100.

Rex Karz

Post by Rex Karz » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 pm

Mrs. Karz and I have frequently talked about this. Finances are what is stopping us.

Our dream is to do Spa then Monza the following weekend. We've estimated that would be about $10K. Per person. $12K-$15K might be more reasonable. I think we'd do this double but only if a Ferrari win can be guaranteed at Monza, just so we could witness the tifosi go wild.
"So to everyone 45 to 65, thanks for destroying America."
Kal, July 16, 2013

Ben Tenuto

Post by Ben Tenuto » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:14 am

Rex Karz wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:59 pm
....I think we'd do this double but only if a Ferrari win can be guaranteed at Monza, just so we could witness the tifosi go wild.
I went to Monza this year, and had a great time, in spite of the result. The Tifosi went crazy when Kimi did that incredible lap at the end of Q3, but the Finns near us were even louder. The Dutch fans were the loudest, and they seemed to be everywhere.

Although the fans went nuts, everyone was having fun, and very respectful. I was in that huge post-race crowd below the podium, and there were absolutely no assholes pushing or shoving or trying to rip stuff out of my back pack (which happened to me at Laguna many years ago). When Hamilton got booed (I hated that), people around me were telling the booers to shut up, and I was next to a few red shirted Italians who were actually applauding his spectacular drive. It's always great to be around real race fans, who are there FOR THE RACING.

The food & drink at Monza is better than at any track I've been to, and there are these espresso stands all over the place that make it better than any Starbucks or Cafe Nero.

Also seeing the old banking with new pavement was really cool. There's a lot of soul in that track, and you can really feel it when you're there.

One more thing, I met a couple of Brits who were also at Spa the week before. They went with one of those F1 tour companies from the UK, and said they had a great time, and the trip was easy. I forgot which one it was, but a bunch of those tour cos. have ads in Motorsport magazine, it might be worth it to check them out.