Need an open wheel racing history book(s)

My series sucks less than yours!
The Utard

Need an open wheel racing history book(s)

Post by The Utard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Does anyone know of a good book(s) on the history of open wheel racing in the US. Not F1, the history of US open wheel leading up to & including CART.

Spicoli

Re: Need an open wheel racing history book(s)

Post by Spicoli » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:52 pm

Fuck we could write one.

I think Oreo did one a while back.
You fucking moron. I so hope your insurance gets cancelled and you die alone in your Obama shit stained underwear.

Chief

Post by Chief » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:03 am

Autocourse's CART Official History 1979-1995 is the defacto bible...and each year after that in year book form until the demise for that top level AOW.

I don't recall a single book that covers it all...but there are many of the same compilations for each major sanction body over the years like AAA, USAC, NASCAR IMSA Indy etc sports cars etc. Spic mentions Oreo's book.....I did a google of US auto racing history and dozens of books popped up.

If a library still exists in your town, they could have dozens of books documenting it all. I used to go read them all the time....Good luck! What a great topic to research...

Snortin Moron

Post by Snortin Moron » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 pm

All the wisdom and knowledge you need to know is available at TrackForum.com

Rex Karz

Post by Rex Karz » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:53 am

Snortin Moron wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:05 pm
All the wisdom and knowledge you need to know is available at TrackForum.com
The tru vizzun of American Open-Wheel Racing was restored in 1996. The OW Heathens were liquidated later on.

What more do you need to know about OW history?
:wilkewank :randywank :kkkwank :izod :flyinIRL :dogscoot
"So to everyone 45 to 65, thanks for destroying America."
Kal, July 16, 2013

The Utard

Post by The Utard » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:42 pm

Well my kid wants to write a paper for school on open wheel racing up thru Cart so I need something slightly more reality based than trackforum

Snortin Moron

Post by Snortin Moron » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:36 am

Give your kid your user name and password to this place. Me & Hugh will give yer boy a right fine edumacation. Spicoli can teach him about wimmens and the evils of drinking. Then when he sobers up, Mo can hose the vomit offin him and Rex will tell him about the good old days of open wheel. He'll be a gentleman and a scholar when you get him back. Honest injun.

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Where to begin........

the Dick Wallen books are great. Slightly slanted (I don't know about the 50's, I ain't that fucking old) The sixties (my maid gripe would be the Don Branson comments) then the 70's. (Huge issue with this, but the records are correct. Dick was in a really bad car accident and didn't have much to do with it, I know about three people who would have done a better job, including myself) This would be the corner stone of any US open wheel library.

then

Rick Schaeffer's history of CART, which was put out by Autocourse is a must have to fill in the CART/Champcar era. The opening decade is thin on coverage with this book. It is a must have as well.

Myself? I have an extensive library of home made scrap books from 1951 onward. I did my own starting in 1968. Railbird willed me (or Nick gave me) some outstanding home made books from an automotive engineer. He was a member of TrackForum and mailed them to Railbird with a note saying he could not sell them in his garage sale (a million thanks, they are outstanding, from papers all over the country. They go back to 1964) Mortici Rosen, a regular contributor of letters to Mark C. (and not his real name) also donated his entire archives to me about a decade ago. He and I went to the Marion County library and photo copied all race results going back to 1911. A massive undertaking which consumed almost $600.00 in dimes!)

I have been collecting books on Open Wheel racing since 1967. I have a library which I am very proud of. It is massive. I buy books every month.

books that need to be written

Don Branson
Bill Fowler
Wayne Leary
Phil Casey
Joe Leonard

Ziggy

Post by Ziggy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 3:50 pm

It is worth noting that AAA records fall off the table in the 1920's. Even who was actually the National Driving Champion is in dispute. The records were not well taken care of. Some dude out in California had them (Art Pillsbury) and there was a fire..... and they burnt up.

Floyd Clymer did a most excellent job with Indy yearbooks starting in 1948. These are Indy only
Autocourse did annuals of the CART/Champcar era, starting with Mansell's rookie year (which is softbound, the rest hard cover)
Carl Hungness "Indy 500 Yearbooks" are outstanding for all eternity. IMS killed him off the fuckers
IMS then went into the yearbook business and failed miserably (shocker)

The Englishman online, Alan Brown? That guy is full of shit, his records suck and the Internet perpetuates falsehoods like nobody's business. His site, "Old Racing Cars" or someshit has ton's and ton's of errors. I gave up. It is a case if enough guys from Flaming Sock Idaho say it so, it's so. I bet the stupid Jicky Cockbite has never even been to an IndyCar race.